The recommended procedure for applying updates to a given environment is as follows:
- Stop any currently executing processes or schedules.
- Close or exit all connected Blue Prism clients (e.g. interactive clients, runtime resources, Blue Prism Server).
- Back up the database (data files and transaction logs).
- Install the new version by executing the supplied MSI installer on all devices. Commonly there is no requirement to remove a previous version first - review the Update Notices to verify if the upgrade path being followed does require the previous version to be uninstalled prior to a new version being applied. Subject to use of application distribution software, this task could be fully automated.
If there are database changes for the upgrade path (this is indicated in the Release Notes) these can either be applied via an in-product option, or through use of SQL Upgrade Script that is applied manually.
The database changes will need to be applied to each environment affected by the update. (See following section for details).
To upgrade a database using the in-product capability, or by directly applying the upgrade script, a SQL user account with the following permission is required: sysadmin (server role) or dbowner (database role)
- Once any required changes have been applied on one client, use the various connections to log into each of the Blue Prism environments to validate the installation and check that there are no more on-screen messages.
If Login Agent is used within the environment and it is necessary to apply an updated version (this is indicated in the Release Notes) it should be installed by executing the supplied MSI installer on all appropriate devices.
Once Blue Prism has been installed the Login Agent installation files can be found within an Installers folder within the Blue Prism install location.
- Following the update of Login Agent, install the updated Login Agent Blue Prism Release into the relevant environment and ensure that the relevant processes reference the updated Login Agent VBO.
- Start the Blue Prism Server service on each Blue Prism Server and resume all Blue Prism clients.
Upgrading to version 6 - Selecting a server communication method
Blue Prism version 6 offers a number of .NET and WCF communication methods:
- .NET Remoting Insecure
- .NET Remoting Secure
- WCF Insecure
- WCF: SOAP with Transport Encryption
- WCF: SOAP with Transport Encryption & Windows Authentication
- WCF: SOAP with Message Encryption & Windows Authentication
Consult your Security and Governance team, Network Administrators, and Server Support staff to help select the best option for the needs of your business.
Follow the steps below to change the server communication method.
A successful upgrade must be completed and verified prior to updating the server communication method.
- Select an appropriate communication method which aligns with the deployment architecture.
- If using a WCF method with Transport Encryption, generate the required server certificate per server.
- Stop all component devices.
- Make the necessary server configuration changes.
- Start the server.
Update the connection settings on all components.