Chrome, Edge, and Firefox integration
Native support for automating web pages and applications in Google Chrome, the Chromium-based version of Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox web browsers is provided in Blue Prism® using Blue Prism browser extensions. The extensions allow Blue Prism to interact with web pages and applications presented in these browsers, so that business processes that rely on such applications and web pages can easily be modelled.
The Blue Prism extensions establish connectivity with Blue Prism, allowing Blue Prism to interact with web pages in Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, so data can be exchanged and elements automated. The communication is established either via a fixed browser port (31924) or a port dynamically selected from the ephemeral range (see Browser automation via ephemeral ports versus fixed ports for more details).
- From Blue Prism 6.8 onwards, the default communication is via an ephemeral port. The system setting Use fixed browser extension port (31924) only must be enabled if a fixed port connection is required. See 6.8 upgrade notices for more details.
- From Blue Prism 6.10.3 onwards, the communication between browser extensions and Blue Prism depends on the deployment scenario. See
6.10.3 upgrade noticesfor more details.
There are three Blue Prism browser extensions:
- Chrome – Used to automate applications and web pages in Chrome.
- Firefox – Used to automate applications and web pages in Firefox.
- Edge – Used to automate applications and web pages in Microsoft Edge.
From Blue Prism 6.10.5 onwards, users can select between installing the browser extensions using Manifest V2 for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox (which correspond to the existing 6.10.4 browser extensions) or the new browser extensions using Manifest V3 for Chrome and Edge introduced in Blue Prism 6.10.5 (recommended). This is due to changes in Google's extensions platform and the move to Manifest V3 for the Chrome and Edge browsers.
Mozilla have not announced a date by which they will remove support for MV2 browser extensions so the Blue Prism Firefox browser extension still uses Manifest V2 and is therefore not impacted by this change.
For up-to-date testing and compatibility data about the Blue Prism browser extensions, see the Browser extension compatibility matrix.